Orlando | Kissimmee | Apopka | Palm Bay | Ocala | Haines City

I have been in the United States for 10 years. Do I qualify for a greencard?

Answer:  You do not qualify for residency simply because you have been in the United States for 10 years. However, you may be eligible for Cancellation of Removal and Adjustment of Status (“Cancellation”) if you are faced with deportation charges in Immigration Court. Cancellation applicants must generally show the following:

  • Physical presence in the United States for a minimum of ten years;
  • No convictions for specified crimes;
  • Good moral character, as defined in immigration law;
  • A qualifying relative, which must be a spouse, parent, or child, who is U.S. Citizen or lawful permanent resident; AND
  • That their deportation would result in exceptional and extremely unusual hardship to their qualifying relative.